Asparagus is a jam packed with vitamins and minerals and a unique kind of fiber called inulin, which feeds the good bacteria in your gut. It’s a great antioxidant food, it’s anti-inflammatory. And best of all, it fits perfectly into a low carb diabetic diet!
This Pesto Asparagus Salad is fresh and incredibly delicious. It is made using our Homemade Pesto but you can equally use a store-bought pesto of your choice.
This salad can be served aside fish, chicken or your favorite meats. This veggie side dish also makes a great side for scrambled or fried eggs.
Don’t be concerned about the higher fat content of this veggie side dish. The fat is from healthy fat sources – olive oil in the pesto (monounsaturated fat) and the pine nuts (polyunsaturated fat).
Pesto Asparagus Salad
- 16 oz asparagus - equiv. to approx. 3 bunches
- 2 Tablespoons homemade pesto - or your bought selection
- Trim off the woody ends of the asparagus; chop into pieces and place in a steamer.
- Steam for 5-7 minutes until soft and tender, but still a little crisp. You don't want them mushy.
- Take off the heat and allow to cool a little.
- Stir through the pesto and serve as a side dish to fish, chicken or your favorite meats.
Please pin, tweet or share this recipe. Your friends and family will love it!