We understand that your major goal with type 2 diabetes is lowering/ regulating blood sugar levels. That’s why we encourage you to eat a lower carb diet filled with fresh, natural whole foods and a variety of vegetables.
A great vegetable that adds a bit of sweetness and fantastic color to your diet is beets (beetroot).
While beets are a root vegetable that some low carb proponents recommend you avoid, in moderation beets make a great addition to a low carb diet – they are super healthy.
- high in fiber
- contain unique phytonutrients called “betalains” as well as lutein and zeaxanthin
- high in potassium and inorganic nitrates (great for heart health and blood pressure)
Ground turkey is a favorite meat of choice. It’s lean and lower in calories compared to some other meats. And it doesn’t have an overbearing flavor, which makes it perfect for ‘adding’ your flavors of choice.
Of course, if you love your beef or you don’t like turkey, this recipe will work equally well using ground beef or chicken.
Overall, this is a very easy meal to make. But the relish does take some time to simmer and soften.
Did you know we have hundreds of cooking classes available to our VIP members?
Be sure to subscribe to our YouTube channel for future low carb diabetes friendly cooking classes.
Feta Turkey Burgers w/ Beet Relish
- 1 lb ground turkey mince
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 oz feta - crumbled
- 1 red onion - finely sliced
- 1 medium beets (beetroot) - grated
- 3 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 5-7 drops liquid stevia extract
- 1/4 cup Water
- 2 tomato - sliced
- 4 oz lettuce
- 3-4 Tablespoon mayonnaise
- olive oil - for cooking
- Add the turkey burger ingredients to a large bowl. Using your hands, mix together well then form into 6 small burger patties, setting them aside on a plate, ready to cook.
- Add a little olive oil to a small non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sauté for around 5 minutes, until nicely browned, stirring occasionally to ensure they don't burn. You may need to add a little water (1-2 Tbsp) about 3 minutes in, to add moisture and prevent burning.
- Add the grated beets to the pan, along with balsamic vinegar, stir and allow to heat for around 30 seconds.
- Add 1/4 cup water and the stevia, turn down the heat to low and simmer for around 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the beets and onion are nicely caramelized into a relish-texture -soft and sweet!
- Meanwhile, in another large non-stick pan, heat a little olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the turkey patties and cook on each side for 4 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Serve the lettuce on 2 plates, top with 2 patties for each plate, mayonnaise on top of the patties, slices of tomato on top and finally a generous pile of the beet relish.
We use liquid stevia extract for most of our recipes, but you can also use another type of sugar substitute if you prefer.
For instance, erythritol, xylitol, tagatose or monk fruit may also work well.
Sugar substitute conversions: Most stevia products and sugar substitutes have an “equivalent teaspoon” amount on the label. The stevia we use for recipes is 2-3 drops = approximately 1 teaspoon sugar. Check the label of your substitute and do the conversions.
Please pin, share or tweet this recipe with others – they’ll love it too!
What are you waiting for?
Get down to the supermarket and grab the ingredients – you’ll be loving this for dinner tonight!