These Peanut Butter Protein Balls are a great take-from-home snack – put them in your lunch box or place a couple in a zip lock bag and you’ll know you’re safe when out and about.
They keep stored in the fridge for months – though you’ll definitely be eating them much faster than that. 🙂
And best of all they are low in carbs, blood sugar friendly and incredibly satisfying!
One ball is equal to one serve.
Peanut Butter Protein Balls
- 3/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup vanilla protein powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- Place all the ingredients into a bowl and mix together to combine.
- Next get your hands dirty and roll the balls into 1/2″ (1.5 cm bite sized balls) – makes about 15 balls.
- Place them into a container as you go and store them in the fridge. These will keep for months like this – but I hope you’ll eat them before then!
These protein balls get their sweetness from the protein powder and the vanilla extract.
When purchasing a protein powder, try to choose one that is stevia based. Stevia is one of the best sugar substitutes, whereas some of the others have artificial sweeteners and all kinds of nasty ingredients you don’t want to consume.
Here are a few good options from Amazon.
Natural peanut butter is the kind that has no sugar or preservatives added. Basically it’s just ground peanuts, which is how peanut butter should be.
And also be careful when selecting vanilla extract. Many have fructose or sugar, which is not a great choice for type 2 diabetics or prediabetics. Choose a ‘natural’ or ‘pure’ vanilla extract and always check the labels.
You always need a range of storage containers – even better if they have switchable lids so you’re not doing the frustrating search in the pantry every time you want to set something away!
Please share, pin, or tweet this recipe. 🙂