This thick stew, also known as a gumbo, is spiced with the flavor of chorizo sausage and has the undertones of sweet paprika. A bowl of this is perfect for any time of day and is an incredibly satisfying dish.
Best of all, if you don’t like veggies, this is the perfect type of dish to hide them as they’ll be coated in the deliciously rich flavor. And interestingly, even people who haven’t tried or usually don’t like Brussels sprouts have said they liked them in this dish – be brave and give it a try!
It’s also low in carbs, like all our recipes here, perfect for keeping blood sugar numbers in check.
Chicken Chorizo Gumbo
- 8 oz cured Spanish chorizo sausage - thinly sliced
- 1.5 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs - diced into bite size pieces
- 3 stalks celery - sliced
- 1 red bell pepper - deseeded and diced chunky
- 1 onion - diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 14oz (400g) can diced tomatoes - no added salt
- 4 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 8 oz green beans - ends removed and cut in 3
- 2 Tablespoon sweet paprika
- 6 oz Brussels sprouts - quartered
- 1/2 cup stock
- Place all the ingredients into the slow cooker
- Stir everything together to combine and place the lid on slow cooker.
- Cook for 3 hours on "high" setting, 6 hours on "low" setting. Serve as it is for a deliciously satisfying meal.
You don’t need a fancy slow cooker. A low cost low-high setting cooker will do the trick.
Please share, pin, or tweet this recipe with others – thanks. 🙂